Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Civic Duty

Dear QotD?ers,
.
I got a jury duty summons! My first ever! I'm excited but I know the actual experience will probably be very boring.
Anne, I don't know if you read Mom's response, but she wants to know what an arepa is. (this came into play when Cuñado requested a shopping spree for tortillas).
In other news, I find it a true challenge to drink 64 volume ounces of straight-up water every day.
.
Today's Question of the Day? is:
.
Did/Will you vote in today's U.S election?
If so, what voting mechanism did/will you use?
.
I early voted last Friday afternoon. I was amazed at how quick the process was, considering our voting location served one of the higher density areas in our county.
And I voted on an electronic machine with a rotary dial and buttons.
.
Love,
The Asker

7 comments:

groovysabrina said...

Yes, I voted! Through the mail, absentee ballot. Pen and paper.

I am very interested to hear about the machines you all are using. Here in Brazil, I was summoned for election duty and learned the process here. All candidates are assigned a number and the voter punches in the number and then a photo and the name of the candidate appear on the screen. The voting machine starts and ends with a print-out of the votes cast. I was impressed.

Tami Parker said...

I voted a few weeks ago, absentee ballot. It had a special marker/pen and I was supposed to complete the line between the arrow head and arrow fletching to indicate which I wanted to vote for.

Anonymous said...

I voted early. It was pencil and paper and was a test of my skills of bubbling-in.

Arepas are to Venezuela as tortillas are to Mexico. Arepas are made with maza flour and water/milk and patted into the palm of your hand and then fried, so they are much more three dimensional than tortillas. You can slice them open and stuff them, making them extra yummy.

I have not yet served on a jury, but I get called to about once a year. Lately, it has been the US District Court that I have had to turn down. I still am exempt as the mother of small children who require supervision.

alicia said...

i voted on friday, and it was also on one of those machines with a turning dial and big red CAST BALLOT button. lots of fun.

Jessim said...

No, I didn't vote today.
I voted quite a while ago (Oct 6th?) by absentee ballot. It was a paper and pencil ballot. In Iowa- if you mail them in by a certain date, they dump them into a regular voting box and count them like a normal ballot. It's only the late arriving ones that don't get counted unless there is a "significant number that could change the results" like some states.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I voted....last week. My husband also voted last week, as did all my children!
My voting was all electronic and even though there were about 30 ahead of me, the process went quickly. In and out in about 15 minutes.
Word verification: misterle

amanda said...

I early voted! I was quite impressed by the electronic device used to vote. It was easy and pretty painless.