Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cake: 4/5

Dear QotD?ers,

I wore new boots today. They are my 'yay! I've maintained my target weight since May!' boots. I like them a lot, but do not yet have a picture to show you. I'll get on that. This evening I did ironing and organizing paperwork. Not fun, but productive.

I couldn't tell you if I've actually had it, but fruit cake has such a bad stigma, I really wouldn't eat that for free if I was hungry. Also, raspberry filling. I am not beyond eating year old cake for a 1-year wedding anniversary (the icing made up for the staleness of the cake) and I wouldn't be beyond eating five year old cake for a 5-year wedding anniversary. That is, unless my parents finally got rid of that entire tier of wedding cake they had in their deep freeze. Is it weird that I'm even thinking about such a thing?

Today's Question of the Day? is:
Sweet! you have won a prize for a fantastic cake to be at your next birthday/christmas/graduation/family event/whatever! And it's the fancy cake makers that are going to do it! What's the most awesome cake idea you could have them create?

Love,
The Asker

P.S. Charm City Cakes requires a $1000 minimum for each cake. But teachers get 15% off. yay?

13 comments:

Mother of Three, Anne said...

Not into edible art. I would rather have the ART for that kind of money. Those cakes don't look any more delicious than a frozen Sara Lee Pound Cake does. So just buy me the pound cake and then pick up some cool sculpture at the flea market and we can celebrate that way!!

Jeannie said...

I really liked the Red Velvet Cake with chocolate icing, groom's cake at Lauren's wedding, so I would order that special cake. It would be nice to see it in tiers, as that looks festive. I am with Anne, buy me the art and let's have cake!

groovysabrina said...

hmm. I guess if a person REALLY wants to make me a cake for free, I'd want something bright and well-formed, with some flair. I'm not too picky.

The most important part is that it tastes good. :)

Tami Parker said...

Hmmm, you know? I don't think I'd want anything too fancy, I'd be afraid to eat it! *laughs*

Mother of Three, Anne said...

Okay, I decided to play nicely. I was inspired by the following story that Jacob shared this morning.

In regards to the noble gases, their electron shells have eight electrons zooming around. This makes a full octet, so the noble gases are quite content to sit around and hum all day and not interact with the other elements!!

This was the way his chemistry teacher explained the noble gases and Jacob said nobody in his class got the joke!!! He was upset that such good music and chemistry humor was lost!!!

I want a krypton cake that hums!!!
And I want those electrons spinning around the nucleus! That would be a fun cake!!! And a prize to anyone at my party who recognizes the element by design!

Jessim said...

I would go to Simon Lee Bakery where I had my wedding cake done and I would let them do pretty much anything they wanted.

SO YUMMY.

Mother of Three, Anne said...

Jessica brought home the best children's book today!! Ironically, it made me think of many of you guys!! I thought of the Asker, Kathleen,the Minears, Groovy Sabrina on the page about ice cream cones piled three scoops high,Jeannie and Auntie Barb.

The book is "The Stars Will Still Shine." It is a sweet, simple book that is meant to reassure kids that in life the flowers will bloom, the stars will shine and the church bells will chime.

I loved the second book she brought home just as much, but it didn't make me think of any of you. I love children's books!!

kathleen said...

I want a yummy ice cream cake!

The Minears said...

I didn't answer this yesterday because I couldn't come up with a design good enough for Duff and the Charm City team. I think I'd like to be on a cake competition where 5 different decorators meet me and ask me questions and then design a cake just for me and I get to pick the winner.

Tami Parker said...

@Anne

I just read an incredible children's/ya book last week. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. Very old-school fairy tale style. I absolutely adored it.

Mother of Three, Anne said...

@ TamiJean,

Nicholas read "The Year of the Dog" by Grace Lin. I knew that author sounded familiar. He liked it a lot. I might have to look into buying both those books for Jessica, but she is not quite ready to read those books by herself yet.

What are you doing reading children's books??

Tami Parker said...

@Anne

A great book is a great book, regardless of intended audience. <3

One of my favorite books is There's a Monster At The End of This Book, narrated by Loveable, Furry, Old, Grover.

And I did not discover that book until I was in college. =]

Jackie said...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/Sp2Z3G4MPqI/AAAAAAAAEVg/rvvY9fedBAU/s1600-h/Kelly+J+.+mac+computer+books.JPG