Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics 1/5

Dear QotD?ers,
.
This weekend was a busy one. My grandmother turned 80 on Saturday, so most of her family got together for a birthday party. We had homemade fajitas and 5 kinds of desert (chocolate cake, white cake, brownies, banana pudding, apple strudel). I was also introduced to a drink called "wine-arita." Sunday we went to visit my uncle. It was good to see him and we got to participate in a session of phys therapy. Take some time right now to appreciate how good you have it, being able to move freely and how frustrated you would be if you lost control of an arm or leg. He's making excelent progress, it will just take time.
.
So, this week begins the first Theme Week for Question of the Day? If you paid attention to the title, you should know where I'm going with this. In addition to answering Olympic themed questions, you are welcome to share anything Olympic related (how much you loved watching [insert event here], discussing China as a crazy country, letting me know if the Home Depot commercials make you cry too). If, for some reason, you hate the Olympics, you are welcome to make up and answer your own question. Just make sure you state what the question is. Anyone can use this method any time my question does not interest you.
.
Today's Question of the Day? is:
.
Did you watch the opening ceremonies?
If so, what was your favorite part?
If not, what were you doing that was so important that you couldn't watch the opening ceremonies, because they were awesome?
.
Love,
The Asker
.
P.S. yes, the Home Depot commercial made me cry. How can you not be moved when you think about Home Depot giving all those athletes a steady job and still allow them the flexibility to train as much as they need?

10 comments:

Kristen said...

I watched it, all of it! And you are right, it WAS awesome. My favorite part is split between the 2008 drummers on the impact triggered light boxes or the 2008 Chinese in the lifting boxes, synchronized despite not being able to see anything!

Tami Parker said...

I do not have cable TV. I think I was cooking right around the time the opening ceremonies happened.

Kristen said...

Terrible excuse, TamiJean! The opening ceremonies were on NBC. Those rabbit ears still work! (until next year). Also, you would have been cooking a long time, since they started at 7 and lasted until 11:30.

But I know you have good reasons for no tv. Do you depend on the radio for weather and other important emergency type news?

Anonymous said...

My only rule for years was "No cable or satellite in the house." With the impending doom of Feb. 2009 and the Olympics, I caved and got satellite. We recorded the opening ceremonies because they were that awesome!! We have watched them four times already and have not ceased to be amazed!

Mr. Ken says that there will NEVER be a better or more impressive opening ceremony.

The synchronized lifting boxes were amazing. The drummers were so much fun and I would love to know what it sounded like down on that field with 2008 drummers! The moving LED scroll was just beyond impressive.

I wanted to marry a Chinese man after the ceremony. I am so unimpressed with my family and their lack of creativity now.

Tami Parker said...

I don't have rabbit ears. The channels we do get are fuzzed out and more irritating to watch than they are informative.

And I depend on the internet for important weather news.

That, and windows. You'd be amazed how much windows will tell you about the weather.

*grins and ducks to avoid being thwapped*

Anonymous said...

Olympic Talking Head: "Justin Brown from team QotD is taking his place at the keyboard now. Other QotD'ers have already put up a great showing this season. The difficulty is pretty low on this one, so the execution has to be flawless. Let's see how he does..."

I was both playing WoW (for g0ldz) and watching the cool parts with The Asker. Even with visual cues and commands through the earpieces, I still cannot believe how precise the performances were. Are Closing Ceremonies equally as grandiose?

Weather Rocks also make for great meteorological indicators.

Other Olympic Talking Head: "Ooh, there was a little leet speak at the entrance, minor deduction there. He'll pick up some points for the large-syllable finish. The Asker has been rewarding humor lately, he's playing to the judges there. Only four more events this week, we'll have to wait and see how it goes..."

Olympic Talking Head: "Right you are. On to the next response..."

groovysabrina said...

Aw man, I saw a summary on the news that the opening ceremony was beautiful, and I am an Olympic lover. Unfortunately, I was not able to watch this one, though I did get to see some scenes of the athletes parading during breakfast last week. I was at a conference, which prevented me from watching. :( What happens in Feb 2009??

Anonymous said...

By the way, a big thank you to The Asker for providing the link and the interest in Dr. Horrible. As I leave Office No. 1 to proceed to pick up my band geek and go to Office No. 2, I am reminded that my band geek recently made his friend Bentleigh very happy by having seen Dr. Horrible. She was forced to take back the 27 times she told him she hated him and he had ruined her life.

So Band Geek thanks you for that.

Jessim said...

Yes. I think the drummers were my favorite, but the parade of nations is always what I think the whole point is, so I do love that.

I don't have cable- and I watched on (digital) rabbit ears.

Anonymous said...

The reason I did not watch the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics
was that we were driving to Austin,
then visiting my brother in the hospital.
Everyone who watched it, talked about
how amazing it was!
I do want to watch it.........I know
someone who recorded it all. :)