Sunday, July 19, 2009

Served with Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Dear QotD?ers,
.
Big news, the furniture has moved from the apartment to the house. It's so lovley. I can sit on the couch and play Wii. I can sit at the kitchen table and type out a QotD?. I can sleep on a bed that's more than a mattress on the floor. I can do laundry. It looks like someone lives here now. There are still plenty of boxes left to unpack, but I'm sure I'll go through those in no time.
.
I found my brush in the side pocket of my old band bag on the floor of our bedroom in the apartment. Sadly, no one guessed that exactly. I pick Jackie as the winner. She guessed a green bag, which is close enough.
.
Today's Question of the day? is:
.
Without looking anything up, what would you expect if 'bubbles and squeek' was on the menu?
.
Love,
The Asker

8 comments:

Mother of Three, Anne said...

Bubbles and squeek is potatoes and cabbages fried up together. The term is British, although it could be Irish. The sqeek part refers to that squeaky noise that cabbage can make when you eat it. Not sure about the bubbles part.

Don't ask me how I know that, as I don't think I ever had it growing up. Well, it assuredly was not a regular dish.

Olives, creamed corned and cabbage are the three food items that if found in my house would over-ride the "til death do us part" vow. I keep asking Bob how I can be expected to impart Polish heritage on my children feeding them cabbage, or a "big bowl of sauerkraut every single morning," but his response is not of human origin when suaerkraut is mentioned.

groovysabrina said...

I was going to guess some kind of bubbly soup with oysters or something. Or maybe tapioca.

Can anyone guess what Eggs and Jackets are?

Tami Parker said...

I would guess soda and cheese, though that doesn't really make sense. *laugh* Maybe a snack platter for a party?

Jeannie said...

I also knew what it was, but looking only at the name, I would guess some kind of bubbly drink and a tart appetizer! Where do they get these names? Sabrina - Eggs and jackets, I guess a boiled egg wrapped in some kind of bread! When in England, we learned to make Scotch Eggs, boiled eggs, wrapped in raw ground sausage, then in bread crumbs then fried. Ooooo, good.

Jessim said...

I know what it is too- but I would say just judging by the name I'd expect champagne and squeaky cheese (cheddar cheese curds- they squeak when you eat them).


Now I want squeaky cheese- must drive out to Kalona

Mother of Three, Anne said...

I apologize. That was rather rude of me to take the fun out of it early.

I read the question, did some other things, and when I went to post my answer, I remembered the question as "What is bubble and squeak?"

At any rate, sorry for bursting that bubble of fun.

I know nothing about the crunch, OBVIOUSLY!

Jackie said...

Yeay! I win.

Bubbles and squeek makes me think ... like sparkling champaign and some kind of dessert. It also makes me think of bubble baths, which would be excellent with some champaign and dessert.

groovysabrina said...

eggs and jackets are hard-boiled eggs with baked potatoes (with the peels on - hence jackets). I looked it up but got no hits. So it's probably an old family thing...a way to get kids to eat more eggs and potatoes when that's all there is!