Sunday, July 5, 2009

New House: 1/5

Dear QotD?ers,
.
I prefer regular carpet to burbur. And while hardwood (psuedo or otherwise) and tile floors are wonderful, I still like my bed rooms and living areas to be carpet.
I love carpet tracks. It's lets you know that someone has cared enough to vacuum before the guests arrive. Back when we were looking at houses, and some lady was trying to get us all excited about this one particular house, she was selling the berber carpet on the fact that you never see carpet tracks. The color scramble of fiber used made it look like rice-a-roni. Between those two, where's the incentive to vacuum? or keep it clean? Whatever. We didn't buy that house.
.
So, getting to some new house news, Thursday and Friday nights we spent at the house, sleepin' on the air mattress. Friday we went to all the furnitures on this side of Houston looking for a bedroom set, a dining room set and a matress. Saturday morning I went back out while Justin finished shampooing carpets. I came back for lunch with some good ideas on what I wanted to get. So i took him out one more time to look at my choices. AND WE BOUGHT THEM! Furniture will be delivered later. Saturday evening we went to a BBQ at a work-friend's house and then drove into Rosenberg to see the fireworks. I thought they smelled like hotdogs, and yes, I know how wierd that sounds. Saturday night we spent at the apartment, packing some stuff, doing laundry, going to church, taking a nap. But we came back to the house for the afternoon. Justin got one of these: and I scrubbed the walls with Mr. Clean's Magic Erasure waiting for this to be delivered:
That's a king size. And trust me, I'll probably take more than my half of the bed, now that it is available.
.
If you looked at the title, you may suspect a theme week. If so, your suspicions are correct!
Let's pretend I'm having a QotD? house-warming party and you are all invited.
.
Today's Question of the Day? is:
.
What house-warming gift are you bringing?
.
Love,
The




10 comments:

The Minears said...

A fish. Every Czech home should have a fish in it, although I don't remember why. My mom has given each of us girls a crystal fish when we got married, mine has green and orange and yellow in it.

Mother of Three, Anne said...

I will bring something practical. My choices will be:

Doormats...you'll need them

Potted plants...flowers on a porch or entry way are always nice

Hoses, a hose reel and a fertilizer spreader...that's a Bob idea

Festive outdoor pitcher, glasses and plates...but I may pass on this until I am sure you have patio furniture already

Some shelving units for the garage...every garage needs a storage area.

Hey, thanks for inviting me!

Fish is a Czech home? Aren't the Czechs landlocked?? (asks the Polish chick)

groovysabrina said...

oh! I want to bring you some freshly-baked pumpkin bread and a cheery wall-hanging to brighten one of your walls.

Kristen - my parents live in Rosenberg! right near the Ave H Kroger, on the border with Richmond. I hope you enjoy the Richmond library, I know I always did!

kathleen said...

I'm bringing lots of love!

Also maybe some cash....for the things you need that I don't know about it or may not know you taste.
Can't wait to see your new home.
I'm deciding on the 'perfect' actual gift........It will be a surprise. :)

Is your fireplace 'real' or gas logs?

Anonymous said...

Where did you find an "Asker" for sale for 5.99? What is that thing?
I will be thinking about the gift!

Jessim said...

I'm not good at housewarming gifts. I'm probably just bringing you a bottle of wine, but it's so long since I've seen you that I'm not sure if you drink wine. How about a box of fancy chocolates. Nothing to clutter your home, because I know it's not your first place and you probably have enough stuff.

Also- isn't it strange that no matter how big the bed gets you still manage to take up more than half of it? I want a king size bed now (we have a queen) because even though it used to have plenty of room, now it doesn't :)

Tami Parker said...

Wootwoot!

I would bring a houseplant (maybe an orchid or something with color). If I knew for sure you wanted to add a tree, I would bring a tree so that you could plant it the same year you move in, and it could grow with your family there.

And probably muffins. Because you can never have enough muffins.

kathleen said...

Oooooooooh !
TamiJean, I like the idea of a tree! Good call!

What is that with Asker for $5.99?

Mother of Three, Anne said...

We have trees for the kids. Jacob and Nick each have a live oak that we planted when we moved and Jessica has Mt. Laurel tree that was planted after she came along.

Jessica's tree blooms beautiful purple flowers.

Nick's tree is huge and has grown three-fold since planted. Jacob's tree is small and has grown within normal parameters, making the trees opposite of the boys!!

The tree idea is a good one!

Kristen said...

Angel-A, I didn't know every Czech home should have a fish. Mine doesn't! but thank you!

Anne, Thank you for all the gifts. I even accept the festive outdoor ware, since we do have a small table and chairs for the patio.

Sabrina, thank you. I haven't had pumpkin bread before and I'll put this wall-hanging in ..the hall!
And yes, apparently we are extremely close to your parents. Also, I saw the library last night and I was so excited. It's HUGE!

Mom, we don't even have a fireplace! But I will use this money, thank you :D

Well, Anonymous, one of my furniture scoping trips was to Ikea. I have no idea WHAT in the kitchen that little pod is supposed to organize, but I had to take a picture of it!

Jessi, I accept this chocolate and eat it deliciously.

Tami, I accept your plant and muffins. We have two 'trees' in the front yard (as required by the HOA), but I really want a big white crepe mertyl for the back. You can bring that.