Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Eve

Dear QotD?ers,

The whirlwind is over! 5 Family events in 7 days. I really don't think we are going to do that ever again, but I don't think there will ever be a confluence of circumstances that would present such a sitaution, either. And next year we should have a baby, which I keep hearing means that people come to visit us. I think I can handle that.

Have you heard that QotD?er Jackie will be moving to Wyoming after she gets married? Her fiance* accepted a job up there. When they asked if we would visit, my immediate answer was "not in the winter."

Today's Question of the Day? is:
What sort of advice, suggestions or requests would you have for someone moving from Texas to the Frigid North?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! The next series of questions will all be about 2010 reflections or new year stuff, so prepare thyself.

Love,
The Asker

*her fiance being my younger brother, but he doesn't play QotD? anymore, so he gets a second hand reference.

4 comments:

Tami Parker said...

Advice : Visit in the summer.
Suggestions : Spend a lot of time outside, it's gorgeous.
Requests : Emails, detailing the weird new things and how different they are. <3

Jeannie said...

Layer up to keep warm, especially women's undershirts.
Get out every weekend and see something new. The time away from Texas will go fast, and you will want to have taken advantage of all that the West has to offer.
(I have trouble with the word verification everyday!)

Mother of Three, Anne said...

Buy some galoshes, gloves, hats and scarves now, as they will all be on sale and winter will linger until June in Wyoming. Layers can get bulky, so try silk sweaters as well as wool. Silk has less bulk but keeps you toasty. Also good in for undergarments.

And despite the Asker already saying she will not come, invite people up for winter/Christmas. A white Christmas is unbelievable for those who never experience them. Snow is amazing fun, especially for little ones. A Svatek snow retreat would be awesome and I know two little girls that would love that.

And, yes, I have had trouble with word verification consistently since before your break. I actually do not see a word until I try to publish my comment, and then the screen will refresh with a word.

Jackie said...

Thanks for all the advice! I've definitely been taking advantage of all the clearance winter gear that after-Christmas sales in Texas. And Anne, I've never thought of wearing silk in the cold before! I'll give it a try.

I'm also really excited about all the trips that we could take. So, in the summer if the Asker visits we'll make a trip. And if any QotD-ers need a place to stay for Yellow Stone or skiing in Montana or a couple hour drive to the Black Hills - let me know!

I've also had tons of trouble with the word verification. Actually, right now it's just a box that says "Visual verification"...